Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Knitting at the County Fair

Today I did a knitting demonstration at the county fair. They had a very nice demo area set up, a tatter was demonstrating his craft and a leather crafter was chiseling leather. There were some teenagers interested in learning to knit so I showed them how to cast on and knit. They were thrilled they caught on so easily and are interested in lessons. I find it totally satisfying to teach someone to use two needles and yarn to make something they can wear or give as a gift.

I am working on a second baby reefer jacket but only brought the size five needles so had plenty of time to people watch after I finished the ribbing. I actually did the ribbing for the back and then pulled out the other end of the ball of yarn and knitted the ribbing for one of the fronts. Fortunately I was using my circular needles so had plenty of room for both pieces of ribbing.

It was cooler today than it usually is during fair week, last year it was up in the low 100s, today it was only 85 degrees. I talked to the tatter and learned a few more techniques, tatting is almost a lost art and when I have time I want to do it more, also beading, painting, scrapbooking, the list is endless but for now I'll stick with my first love, knitting.

No comments: