Monday, July 23, 2007

I have a miniature dachshund named Miss Daisy. She is very friendly, loves people, other dogs and would like to love cats but they think she's too hyper. I took her to a local pet store where we bought her a bow for her collar. While we were checking out, two people were standing behind us in line and Miss Daisy, friendly huckster that she is, bounced up to them expecting petting and adoration. Instead, both of them stood like zombies. Finally, the girl cautiously petted MD, she then explained to me that dachshunds had been so inbred they have become aggressive, surly and tend to bite. Obviously, Miss Daisy and I have never read that evaluation and, hopefully, Miss Daisy's begging for attention showed her another side to the dachshund personality.

Sadly, there are a lot of dogs who have problems and some breeds have gained a bad reputation. I know if I see a dog that weighs over 120 pounds, I back off until I am sure it is friendly so I understand that woman's reaction to a dog she was afraid might attack. Caution is always best when it comes to a strange dog especially when it is out of its element. Hopefully, after meeting Miss Daisy and her zany antics, this lady will be willing to give the next dachshund a more friendly greeting.

No comments: