Thursday, July 19, 2007

I think the hardest lesson for a beginning knitter is ripping out. I know there have been times when I have had to put aside a sweater or afghan I was working on because I was going to have to rip it out, maybe not all the way but enough that I couldn't face it at that time. Fortunately for me and my sanity, I always have several items on needles or something else ready to start. I think the time I had to rip out a man's cardigan sweater was the worst. It had an elaborate pattern and as I was ready to sew the pieces together, I realized I had made the back 2 inches longer than the fronts. Since it was a gift, I couldn't shunt it to the back of my closet for a couple of months but had to rip out the fronts and redo them immediately. I never made that sweater again.

One of my students refused to rip out and cast on over when she ran out of yarn, instead she joined a second ball and continued. Fortunately, the yarn was knobby and the knot was hidden in the pattern. However the next time she cast on she pulled out plenty of yarn.

No comments: