Thursday, September 20, 2007

Yarn sale

Michael's had a yarn sale and, as an appreciation for their employees, they had a once-a-year coupon special. Since I work there, I received a very nice discount on my purchases and, of course, came home with a huge bag of yarn. Moving or not, I needed that yarn and anyway how could I ignore that sale?

I have been working on a shawl using a very old pattern. In fact, the book I'm using was published in 1959. Originally the pattern was for a baby blanket/christening shawl, the center is increased from 3 stitches to 102 then decreased back down to 3 stitches before it is cast off. Since I am making it for an adult I only used the increases then cast off making the center triangular (see picture). The sides are worked separately in a feather and fan pattern then sewn together. I only have one side finished, since it is triangular rather than square, there are only two sides.

No comments: