Monday, September 3, 2007

Reflections on Ahab's wife

About two months ago I read Ahab's wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. I still can't decide if I really liked the book, there were some parts that I loved and some that made me shudder. The ending, I felt, was a letdown but the story was basically that of a woman's life and, as such, was fulfilling in that I felt I knew her personally. A friend read it and felt the same ambivalence. I hope all of Ms Naslund's books are as compelling.

I think I'm going to start a lists of the best books I have ever read. Some books stay with you and most of the ones I remember are books I loved. Louisa May Alcott's book "Eight Cousins" was one of the first that drew me in and made me part of their lives. I still have it and every now and then reread it.

No comments: