Thursday, August 9, 2018

Walking

For the first time in my life, I am without access to or use of a car.  For the past three months, I have been walking or riding the bus.  This has given me a new perspective on many things, including the taken-for-granted daily use of a car.  Before, one of the most anxiety-filled moments of my daily life was the fear of my car breaking down or needing major repairs.  I was "diligent" about maintenance to the point I actually caused one of my mechanics to have a panic attack.

However in several ways my outlook has now changed.  I appreciate certain things I either was oblivious to or ignored completely.

I have discovered that one of the most useful items in my day is the sidewalk.  Before, it was there and I crossed it on my way to the store (in my car) or walked my dog on it.  I now realize what a marvel the gift of a sidewalk is!  I don't have to walk in the street, I don't have to walk on the lawn or in the weeds.  And my feet stay drier when it rains.  Sidewalks are wonderful.

Another unexpected but deeply appreciated revelation, is the kindness of others.  Strangers will stop and ask if I need a ride.  My friends will ask if I need to go shopping.  When there is a meeting, not only will one but often two or three people offer to pick me up.  My neighbors stop if they see me walking and offer to give me a ride to anywhere I want to go.

And busses!  I hadn't ridden a bus since I was in grade school.  These are air-conditioned, the seats are comfortable and they are very, very clean.  Since I am a senior, I can ride all over the county for a dollar.



1 comment:

Jane McLellan said...

I took my husband’s car for a service last week and walked around town all morning. It definitely gives a different perspective, I even saw shops I haven’t noticed before! Unfortunately our sidewalks are not all user-friendly, you’re right to celebrate yours.