Monday, September 22, 2008

Tatting or What goes around comes around

Several years ago my sister and I decided we would learn to tat. Tatting is an ancient needlework that has lost popularity in the past few years. Presently there are very few accomplished tatters and my sister and I wanted to learn this craft before it became a lost art. We both set out to collect several tatting shuttles, books on tatting and thread. Tatting thread comes in sizes that range from size 10 (the thickness of small string) to size 50 (the thickness of thin thread). After several months of comparing our minuscule projects, we both gradually lost interest.

Recently, however, two of my knitting students expressed an interest in tatting. I am going to teach them and hopefully will finish some of the projects I started. Tatting still holds a fascination for me as an art that is a little more difficult than knitting or crocheting. I will post any finishedprojects.

No comments: