Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How to knit

I have been thinking about knitting and the questions that are asked by people interested in learning to knit. Most of them are interested in the basics; how to cast on, the knit stitch, purl stitch and casting off. Once these basics are mastered the student just needs to sit and knit. It's the student that puts the knitting aside and doesn't practice the basic stitches that doesn't progress.

The harder aspects of knitting; reading a graph (or chart)and doing more complicated stitches become a challenge. I love starting a new pattern that is so complicated I have to use a Post-it to keep my place on the chart line by line. A pattern that is so difficult I can't even have the television turned on and woe to anyone who calls me at that point! This is a challenge--one that I try to do at least once a year.

No comments: