Saturday, February 11, 2012

More on the Orenburg Shawl

The most difficult part of knitting an Orenburg shawl is understanding the pattern. Altho graphed and very carefully detailed, there are differences in the pattern that make it difficult. One of the problems is counting the squares of the graph; there may be six squares or stitches on one side of a decrease and only five on the other side. While this is understandable as a K2 tog may make up the difference, it is still difficult to read. The second problem I'm having is in the purl decreases which are not consistent. In most of the lace patterns I've knitted, either there are no decreases in the purl rows or there are decreases in all the purl rows. However in this pattern the purl decreases are not in every row. Fortunately, the graph is very clear and plainly shows the decreases so I know it's just that I am not used to it.

Mitering the corner was not a problem. The instructions were very clear. I find the pattern is really hard on my eyes. I did eight rows today and my eyes are very tired. Over all, however, the pattern fascinates me.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hi Barbara,
So good to be able to see your blog again. I really like it and your packs that you are selling look wonderful to me.
Margaret

meadowprayershawls said...

Hi Barbara, Checking in and plan to see you Tuesday at our Prayer Shawl meeting.
Judy